The world of words has expanded at an exponential rate. Copy-editors play an indispensable role, as they act as a kind of ‘gatekeeper’, turning what could be a tumbleweed array of words into something coherent and correct, thereby inviting the reader to assimilate information with pleasure. Wading through content riddled with errors can become subliminal sandpaper to the eye, which inevitably irks the mind. Errors disrupt comprehension and readers may find themselves questioning the overall credibility of the content. In fact, the process of professional editing can turn basic ‘copy’ into great ‘content’. Quality copy-editing results in the creation of a complete content package that is easy to read, reliable and informative. It ensures that copy is presented at its best for publication, with an aim of education or entertainment, and ultimately, readers’ enjoyment.
Subject Matter Expert
Cathryn Henderson has been involved in editing over the last 15 years. She has an eclectic understanding of the written word having worked on books, magazines and online content. The breadth of her experience includes employers such as lifestyle and entertainment-focused Ramsay Media for Wine magazine, the radio station Classic FM for Classic Wine magazine, as well as educational publishing houses Oxford University Press, EDGE Learning Media and the Management College of South Africa. She has also developed learning material and recently co-authored an English Second Language title for Oxford University Press, Namibian schools.
Cathryn recently established an editing and writing consultancy for book manuscripts, dissertations, internal policy documents, academic review, as well as lifestyle articles, marketing communications in the form of press releases and newsletters and online content. She believes in a creative approach, to embrace each subject or project wholeheartedly and convey this enthusiasm – as clearly as possible! She is a self-declared ‘word enthusiast’ never far from a book, and is always inspired to continue the exciting cycle of sharing and gaining knowledge and experiences through the power of words.
With the freedom that online education brings, CityVarsity Online students can upskill in their own time, from almost anywhere on earth. Well, anywhere where the internet is accessible, that is. But although our students may roam far and wide, they are never far out of our minds.
Each course is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready and waiting to guide and assist their learners throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor, who is assigned to your course, is trained to build each student up to reach their fullest potential. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit from this course, you require the following:
- Stable internet connection
- Firefox/Microsoft Edge/Chrome web browser (latest version)
- Adobe Acrobat, or similar PDF viewer
- Microsoft Word/Pages (ability to export documents as PDF files)
- Email/Cell phone for notifications and communication
- Ability to scan and upload documents
How We Engage with Students
Our online short learning programmes are broken into self-paced manageable modules designed to be interactive and engaging:
- The programme is available to be viewed on smart devices and includes mobile, tablets and personal computers.
- Relevant case studies, articles and recommended reading are part of supplementary resources available.
- Apply and evaluate what you have learned in each module with the self-grading quizzes and assignment submissions
- View a range of Introductory course videos by your Subject Matter Expert.
- Scheduled live webinars are included with the Online Academic Tutor.
- Network, collaborate and interact with your fellow participants and Online Academic Tutor via the discussion boards.
Upon successful completion of your course, you will be awarded a CityVarsity Online certificate.