Welcome to our Introduction to Copy-editing course. By the end of the course, you will have the ability to successfully copy-edit across a variety of content types. As an individual, you would have increased levels of competence and be able to:
- Describe different kinds or approaches to editing
- Know why accuracy is important
- Understand the importance of consistency
- Identify one style and know how to adhere to it
- Compile a style guide and apply it consistently
- Define and be able to combat/stop plagiarism
- Compare the different platforms used for content and how each one differs
- Outline how to work with different individuals in an editorial environment
- Explain how to look out for common mistakes, errors and typos
- Illustrate how to keep structure to a sentence/paragraph
- Recognise how to switch between the different styles of writing
Subject Matter Expert
Cathryn Henderson has been involved in editing over the last 15 years. She has an eclectic understanding of the written word having worked on books, magazines and online content. The breadth of her experience includes employers such as lifestyle and entertainment-focused Ramsay Media for Wine magazine, the radio station Classic FM for Classic Wine magazine, as well as educational publishing houses Oxford University Press, EDGE Learning Media and the Management College of South Africa. She has also developed learning material and recently co-authored an English Second Language title for Oxford University Press, Namibian schools.
Cathryn recently established an editing and writing consultancy for book manuscripts, dissertations, internal policy documents, academic review, as well as lifestyle articles, marketing communications in the form of press releases and newsletters and online content. She believes in a creative approach, to embrace each subject or project wholeheartedly and convey this enthusiasm – as clearly as possible! She is a self-declared ‘word enthusiast’ never far from a book, and is always inspired to continue the exciting cycle of sharing and gaining knowledge and experiences through the power of words.
With the freedom that online education brings, CityVarsity Online students can upskill in their own time, from almost anywhere on earth. Well, anywhere where the internet is accessible, that is. But although our students may roam far and wide, they are never far out of our minds.
Each course is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready and waiting to guide and assist their learners throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor, who is assigned to your course, is trained to build each student up to reach their fullest potential. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit from this course, you require the following:
- Stable internet connection
- Firefox/Microsoft Edge/Chrome web browser (latest version)
- Adobe Acrobat, or similar PDF viewer
- Microsoft Word/Pages (ability to export documents as PDF files)
- Email/Cell phone for notifications and communication
- Ability to scan and upload documents
How You Will Learn
- Online Learning Studio
- Module Notes
- External URLs
- Forum Discussions
- Academic Support
This course is presented through an interactive learning platform – our Online Learning Studio. You are encouraged to refer to external URLs for a broader understanding and complete the quizzes in order to test your own grasp of each module. Feedback on your assignments will deepen your learning experience, and your participation in the discussion forum with your fellow students brings the classroom into your space.
Upon successful completion of your course, you will be awarded a CityVarsity Online certificate.