In this day and age, people are often carrying around devices capable of capturing incredible video footage at any time. This course provides a theoretical framework around the basics of filmmaking and then delves deep into video cameras, mobile phones and DSLRs to unlock their full filmmaking potential.
Subject Matter Expert
Gareth H. Graham is a cinematographer and editor who has been working in the film industry in Cape Town since 2005. His films have been well received in film festivals both nationally and internationally. In addition to his work with Renegade Pictures as creators of documentary films and corporate videos, he has also lectured at CPUT, CityVarsity, UCT, SAE and the Cape Town School of Photography. He has also filmed footage for well-regarded TV shows such as Top Billing and worked as an online editor on various inserts for Carte Blanche.
With the freedom that online education brings, CityVarsity Online students can upskill in their own time, from almost anywhere on earth. Well, anywhere where the internet is accessible, that is. But although our students may roam far and wide, they are never far out of our minds.
Each course is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready and waiting to guide and assist their learners throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor, who is assigned to your course, is trained to build each student up to reach their fullest potential. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit from this course, you require the following:
- Stable internet connection
- Firefox/Microsoft Edge/Chrome web browser (latest version)
- Adobe Acrobat, or similar PDF viewer
- Microsoft Word/Pages (ability to export documents as PDF files)
- Email/Cell phone for notifications and communication
- Ability to scan and upload documents
How We Engage with Students
Our online short learning programmes are broken into self-paced manageable modules designed to be interactive and engaging:
- The programme is available to be viewed on smart devices and includes mobile, tablets and personal computers.
- Relevant case studies, articles and recommended reading are part of supplementary resources available.
- Apply and evaluate what you have learned in each module with the self-grading quizzes and assignment submissions
- View a range of Introductory course videos by your Subject Matter Expert.
- Scheduled live webinars are included with the Online Academic Tutor.
- Network, collaborate and interact with your fellow participants and Online Academic Tutor via the discussion boards.
Upon successful completion of your course, you will be awarded a CityVarsity Online certificate.