Visual communication through the medium of graphics is found in almost every aspect of our daily lives, and good design helps to “tell a story” effectively and attractively. Perhaps you are already part of the design industry but need to develop your command of the principles that underpin excellent design or maybe you are looking to kickstart a career in the dynamic world of graphic design. Here you will learn to use space, colour, image and typography for successful communication with your target audience.
Subject Matter Expert
Mandy Roberts is a graphic designer and illustrator based in Cape Town. She learned graphic art and printmaking techniques as a teenager and continues to be fascinated with this form of visual expression. Her playful and innovative design signature combines technical expertise with artistic flair. She has been a teacher in the field of graphic design for a number of years and continues to work as a graphic designer and illustrator in the industry. She has worked on numerous large-scale design projects such as the J&B Met and The Standard Bank Jazz Festival.
With the freedom that online education brings, CityVarsity Online students can upskill in their own time, from almost anywhere on earth. Well, anywhere where the internet is accessible, that is. But although our students may roam far and wide, they are never far out of our minds.
Each course is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready and waiting to guide and assist their learners throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor, who is assigned to your course, is trained to build each student up to reach their fullest potential. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit from this course, you require the following:
- Stable internet connection
- Firefox/Microsoft Edge/Chrome web browser (latest version)
- Adobe Acrobat, or similar PDF viewer
- Microsoft Word/Pages (ability to export documents as PDF files)
- Email/Cell phone for notifications and communication
- Ability to scan and upload documents
How We Engage with Students
Our online short learning programmes are broken into self-paced manageable modules designed to be interactive and engaging:
- The programme is available to be viewed on smart devices and includes mobile, tablets and personal computers.
- Relevant case studies, articles and recommended reading are part of supplementary resources available.
- Apply and evaluate what you have learned in each module with the self-grading quizzes and assignment submissions
- View a range of Introductory course videos by your Subject Matter Expert.
- Scheduled live webinars are included with the Online Academic Tutor.
- Network, collaborate and interact with your fellow participants and Online Academic Tutor via the discussion boards.
Upon successful completion of your course, you will be awarded a CityVarsity Online certificate.